Tuesday, May 21, 2013

We had a P L A N!!!


Howdy folks,

Hope all is well. Spring is here and day time is longer. I really love that about this time of year, not too happy with my allergies but whatcha’ gonna do. Spring is a sign of birth, growth, hope, life and oh so many good things.  Seeds that have been planted are now showing a hint of manifestation. What you thought might have died during the cold and mostly dark days are now playing “peep a boo” with you, maybe to your surprise. There are so many lessons to be learned when you think of spring time...
 

I had my daughter in the spring.  May 1 was my daughter, Heather’s 21st birthday. She mentioned on April 30 that it was her last day of being a “child”. I told her, “girl please, you were born a woman”. Can you imagine, she was 10 lbs. 9oz. and 21 ½ inches long.

Yes you read it right, let me spell it out. HEATHER WAS TEN POUNDS, NINE OUNCES!!!!  And you wonder why I didn’t have any more children? The doctor told me the next child would be bigger! WHAT NEXT CHILD??? IN WHO’S BODY?? Folks, there was no C-section involved here, this was O NATURALE!!!  Let me type “SUPERWOMAN” right here. (Alicia Keys you better sing it)  I told Emm this must definitely be his side of the family because we (my side of the family) don’t do stuff like this”. (laughing)

Heather has always carried herself in such a mature way. I would always tell her “old people make old babies”. I was 32 and Emm was 36 years old when she was born. This year for her birthday, I took her to a great restaurant on 51st and Broadway called Capital Grill. Everything about it was great, the food, the ambiance and the COST! It was worth it though, 21 is a big deal. As we waited for our appetizers, I had her unscramble an envelope of letters that spelled out her birthday present. Folks, she was floored. It spelled METROPOLITAN OPERA! Yes I got her and I tickets to see “Dialogue de Carmelites”.
 
If your first love is football, how excited would you be to get tickets to The Super bowl, or if your thing is basketball and you got tickets to the NBA championship games? Well she’s a classical vocalist need I say more?

I pride myself in thinking of memorable gifts for her birthday. I remember when she was 11 years old and my husband and I picked her up from school in the middle of the day and took her to Disney Land for a week.  We broke it to her at Kennedy Airport what the surprise was; her response to all of this came in a whisper. Everything another child might do like scream, jump up and down, you know all those expressions that would get the attention of others around, Heather did NOT do. She quietly expressed her shock and disbelief but she was very, very happy. All in all her reaction was priceless and too funny! We stayed at the Westgate Resorts; we got an excellent rate for a 5 day stay at an absolutely beautiful timeshare resort.

So let me tell you about that journey. When you take advantage of a promotional stay at a timeshare, you must schedule an appointment to hear their presentation so that you may perhaps buy a timeshare unit. They are banking on you buying a unit, they will accept nothing less. That’s the point of these promotional, well discounted vacation getaways.  Emm and I had a PLAN though. We would go and listen but we will stick to our PLAN of not buying a timeshare right now, the bottom line was we were in no position to buy right now. We knew how pushy these reps could be but we had a PLAN. Have you noticed how I put the word PLAN in caps?  Yes folks we had a PLAN. Emm would be the one to take this rep on if they got belligerent because they can. I would just remain quiet and let my man handle this.  We knew how this worked because we went on a one trip to Pennsylvania when timeshares were first introduced and I mean it was brutal. The process included much aggressive behavior and rudeness from these reps and they had the nerve to play the tag team game.  Really… well THE BARNES tag team came out in full blast.   I was so shocked; I mean we literally got up out of there. They were too persistent, I mean every time we’d say, “no thank you”, they’d come back with something. Ultimately we won; we were both on the same page.  In the words of one of the character’s on IN LIVN’ COLOR…“DON’T NOBODY MESS WITH MS JENKINS”.  In other words DON’T NOBODY MESS WITH THE BARNES AND WIN (hahaha). The way I reenacted everything all the way home would have been torture for most of you but  Emm just chilled and listened to my song and dance or should I say ranting and raving! After a while I’m sure he tuned me out and I didn’t care though, as long as he just look like he was listening, it was all good.   But back to the point of the story, because of this experience we had already prepared and braced ourselves for the meeting. Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with timeshares; we were just not financially ready for that at that time or when we went to Florida. Our meeting was scheduled a few days after being there. How strategic on their part, let us really enjoy the place first and then reel us in. That didn’t matter though we knew we’d have a great time there, it came highly recommended and we were indeed impressed. But yet and still we had a PLAN!!!
 
We went to our appointment early that morning and we reminded each other to stick to the PLAN.  We will tolerate them for this 90 minute presentation and bow out gracefully.  We had a wonderful, very polite young man, not aggressive or abrasive at all. He took us around the grounds and showed us different units of possible choices.  I must say it was quite impressive, but no matter what, we had a PLAN.  So by the end of all of this he asked, “So what do you want to do?” Now remember y’all we had a PLAN.  In my head, I said, “poor, poor guy you are now going to get this bad news after all the time you spent with us”. I felt sorry for him but that’s life!  Well the time had come, I thought again “baby go easy on him” anyone that knew Emm, knew that when it came to business he was DIRECT, STRAIGHT TO THE POINT, DONE!!! I think all those years at IBM taught him that. Well, Mr. Barnes, my man, my strong minded man, my man that exudes confidence, my man that I knew would stick to the PLAN, my boo said, “I THINK I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A UNIT”.









 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Okay, folks this is the conversation I had in my head…

HUH?? SAY WHAT??? I MUST GET THAT WAX BUILD UP OUT OF MY EARS… DID HE JUST SAY I WOULD LIKE TO BUY ONE?? DID YOU FORGET THE PLAN?? YOU KNOW…THE PLAN…. THE PLAN, PLAN!!!! YOU’RE KIDDIN ME, RIGHT???  WHY IS MR REP GRINNING?? OH YEAH THE COMMISSION!!! AWWW LOOK AT HEATHER SHE IS SO EXCITED, SHE THINKS WE WILL BE COMING HERE OR ONE OF THEIR MANY, MANY OTHER RESORTS EVERY YEAR, AWWWW!!!!! I DON’T CARE….EMM THE PLAN, WE HAD A PLAN…….
 
‘til next time….

 

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog, it is so informative and most definately humorous. You have such a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hacking around the internet and came across this blog. All I can say is, WOW, and then WOW, again, and then again, WOW.

    I was sorry to read about Emmett, and your loss. I extend, and ask that you accept, my sincere condolence. I was glad to read of your daughter, and the apparent joy you gain, from communing with her. And what a coincidence, I too was 10+ pounds and 21+ inches long at birth.

    I have thought of you many, many times; wondered how you might have faired (if that is a word) these many, many years. Your smile, I see, hasn't changed. That's good. Thinking on you, I’ve often wondered, is she still singing? Is she still quirky and somewhat eccentric? Does she still talk as fast? Does she still have that tilt of the head when…?

    I’m glad you were/are happy.

    WOW, my, my, my,

    P.S. Every now and then, MY daughter asks about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for condolences and you definitely know me. So who is this?

      Delete